Kathy Zamechansky, Owner and President of KZA Realty Group, Inc. a Bronx based Commercial Real Estate Brokerage and Consulting Firm, has over 35 years of experience in the real estate industry in the public and private sector. KZA Realty Group, Inc and Kathy Zamechansky & Associates provide their clients with a vast array of comprehensive services ranging from brokerage, pre-development consulting, project management and community and government relations services that have helped our clients successfully navigate New York’s intricate land use system.
Ms. Zamechansky is among the very few professionals in New York City with the integrated, in-depth experience and relationships in government, business, and grassroot community organizations. In more than 20 years of public service and 15 years as a consultant, she has earned a reputation as a savvy and effective professional who gets results.
During her career, Ms. Zamechansky has help a variety of public and private positions including Chief of Staff to a member of the New York City Council, Assistant to a Congressman, Director of Community Boards for the Borough of the Bronx, Chief of Staff to a Borough President and the first President of the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corp. She has also served as the Executive Director of the Bronx Chamber of Commerce before starting her own firm in the late 1980s.
She has experience shepherding many high profile projects from the initial planning phase to its grand opening. At each step, KZA provides strategies for constructive and cost-effective community involvement that educates, involves, promotes and builds the support necessary to successfully traverse New York’s daunting maze of formal and informal approval processes. Additionally, we create and implement job training and minority participation programs that provide local employment through the construction phase and for permanent and part-time jobs upon a project’s completion.
ZEREGA/HAVEMEYER DEVELOPMENT SITE
Kathy Zamechansky has been working with the principals of D&J Ambulette and Citicare to develop the Zerega/Havemeyer industrial site located in the Zerega Industrial Park as a Green Transportation Depot. KZA dealt with the principals of the company and their team to develop the response to the RFP. Ms. Zamechansky has been retained by the principals to provide community and government relations services to the team during the approval process and the construction phase of the project.
TRIANGLE PLAZA HUB AT 149TH STREET PROJECT (BRONXCHESTER URA SITES A&B)
Kathy Zamechansky has been retained by Triangle Equities, the group selected by EDC to develop Bronxchester sites A&B on 149th Street in the 3rd Avenue Hub area of the Bronx. Ms. Zamechansky works with the development team and provides community and government relations services to maximize community involvement in the development of the site. KZA is also working with Triangle Equities on the leasing opportunities for local businesses in the project.
Kathy Zamechansky was part of the Blumenfeld Development Corporation team that was selected to develop a city-owned parcel on 125th Street between Lexington and Third Avenues in Manhattan.
- Worked with the developer to obtain approvals for the 90,000 square foot, mixed use retail center on the site
- Arranged meetings, negotiated community needs and worked with Community Board 11, local community leaders, local elected officials and the Office of the Borough President to ensure that local interests and concerns were met
- Brokered a lease for 33,000 square feet with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles for the third floor of the building, which became the first tenant in the development
- KZA’s on site staff worked with the community to recruit local labor, process drop-in applicants and find local suppliers for the construction phase
- Worked with the Office of the Borough President to hold a job fair for local construction companies
- Collaborated with a community job-training program to place local residents in retail positions and were successful in filling most of the permanent jobs with community residents
- Coordinated the ground breaking and ribbon cutting ceremonies and event
As consultants to Rosenshein Associates, KZA was part of the team that was selected by EDC to develop a 140,000 square foot, mixed use shopping center on a vacant city owned parcel on Co-op City Boulevard in the Bronx.
- Worked with the developer to address community concerns about the project
- Developed strategies, programs and held meetings and negotiations with local community leaders, Community Board 10, local elected offices and the Office of the Borough President to successfully obtain approval for the project
- Worked with the developer to create a program to attract local contractors and labor to the project and were successful in acquiring several of them to work on the project
- Worked with SUNY’s job training program in the Baychester area of the Bronx as well as the Edwards Supermarket Corporation to facilitate local hiring at their store and other retailers in the center
- KZA was successfully in achieving over 80% of local hiring at Edwards Supermarket when the store opened
- Worked with the developer to encourage local retailers be part of the initial tenancy of the mall, several local businesses agreed to come aboard
- KZA completed the project, coordinating a successful groundbreaking and ribbon cutting event
BRONX PREP CHARTER SCHOOL
KZA helped Bronx Prep Charter School to expand from a temporary space in a church to a state of the art facility. As their broker, Ms. Zamechansky identified a city owned site in the Bathgate Industrial Park for the school’s relocation. Acting as their development consultant, she represented the school before the EDC was successful in negotiating site control for the school. She partnered with the school’s land use attorney to secure the necessary zoning approvals form the Board of Standards and Appeals to enable the school to build a facility in the industrial park. She worked with the Executive Director of Bronx Prep to negotiate the sale price of the land and was able to secure the support of Community Board 3, the Office of the Borough President, local elected officials and the Port Authority of NY/NJ who has control of the parks usage.
KZA worked with national retailer Home Depot to overcome vociferous opposition by local retailers, institutions and community groups who organized to stop the development of Home Depot on Gun Hill Road and Zerega Avenue in the Bronx.
- Developed strategies for resolving obstacles to development, including the formation of a task force to clearly define the opposition’s core issues and create a forum for their resolution
- Created grassroot support for the project, arranged testimony at public hearings and coordinated private meetings with elected officials and key opposition leaders to promote the project’s benefit to the community
- Worked with Home Depot to achieve a successful jobs program that resulted in 90% participation by Bronx companies and 75% local participation during the project construction
- Facilitated job placement in permanent and part-time retail positions once the project was completed
ADDITIONAL KZA PROJECTS
- Providing community outreach to the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. for their public approval process for the redevelopment of lower Manhattan
- Worked with Blumenfeld Development Corp. on the East River Plaza Center for the development of a 500,000 square foot retail center anchored by Home Depot and Costco
- Acted as liaison with the developer to achieve support for the project for the SEQRA and ULURP process and is continuing to provide community and government relations services in connection with the project
- Worked with Triangle Equities on the relocation of the Bronx Office of the New York Department of Motor Vehicles to their present location on Fordham Road
- Ms. Zamechansky is presently working on several HPD affordable housing projects in the Bronx and Harlem, providing real estate brokerage services to the developers in order to lease the commercial and retail portions of the buildings to local, regional and national tenants
Kathy Zamechansky is a member of several community and business organizations in the Bronx and Harlem. She is the President of the Bronx Manhattan-North Association of Relators, she is the 57th President and the 6th Woman elected to the position, on the Board of Directors of the New Bronx Chamber of Commerce and Chairperson of The Fund for the Future Women Leaders of the Bronx. In May 2013, she was named Executive of the Month by New York Real Estate Journal and in 2009, she was named one of the 25 Most Influential Women by The Bronx Times Reporter and was awarded the Realtor of the Year by the Bronx-Manhattan Association of Realtors.